General Manager – Greenhouse
M&F Talent has a CEA production client that needs to hire a new General Manager for a greenhouse facility in West Virginia. The General Manager will oversee the day-to-day operations of a private equity-backed 10-acre greenhouse that produces a variety of food crops.
The General Manager position will help redefine the future of agriculture by promoting positive health and safety culture in the workplace.
Location: Buffalo, WV
- Oversee daily operations of the facility including production; quality control; planning; plant performance reporting; labor management; facility maintenance; and balancing inputs, throughput, and demand.
- Work as part of a team to optimize the fruit and vegetable yield and quality.
- Prepare budget and monitor financial performance against those budgets.
- Devise key performance indicator reports for management including food safety, quality, and yield.
- Support safety programs to maintain safe working conditions and food safety compliance.
- Meet regularly with leadership for progress reports, planning, and conflict resolution.
- Collaborate with Human Resources on labor management to meet staffing needs and the development needs of current employees.
- Develop growing schedule and forecasts yield targets with the Head Grower on site.
- Work with Head Grower and distribution partners to develop and execute produce growth strategies.
- Manage the P&L responsibility for Greenhouse Operations.
- Oversee greenhouse project activities throughout the lifecycle, including the allocation of adequate resources, scheduling, documentation, budget, and other factors necessary for success.
- Establish and sustain a culture among the Greenhouse team members that does not compromise on Safety, Quality, or Compliance.
- Lead the greenhouse facilities design and execution team as the subject matter expert during the planning and operational startup of greenhouse facilities.
- Ensure design, materials, and equipment are suitable for the intended use.
- Bachelor’s Degree, Environmental Resources, Horticulture, Agriculture, or equivalent experience.
- Advanced degree in Environmental Resources, Chemistry, Horticulture, or Agriculture is a plus.
- Minimum three years of experience in horticultural management.
- Five to ten years of general management experience with a labor force greater than 30.
- Knowledge of horticultural pests and disease identification is plus.
- Previous experience in greenhouse management is a plus.
- Excellent leadership and communication skills.
- Financial management fluency with experience having full responsibility for a P&L.
- Collaborative mindset and ability to work in a solution-focused environment.
- Organizational skills and comfort with ambiguous and fast-changing situations.
- Results-driven personality with a bias towards action.
If you would like to learn more about our General Manager job or our CEA staffing services, please Contact Us.